Applied mathematics and applied statistics, supported by the power of the latest computers, have become important and sometimes essential tools of investigation and design for modern engineering. Numerical simulations are useful to investigate the complex physical phenomena underlying industrial and civil applications.
Their use allows virtually reproduce the phenomenon under study, having possibility of:
- display it in the case it is not directly observable;
- easily vary parameters that regulate it;
- observe and quantify output information hardly or not otherwise available;
- have the repeatability of experiments;
- contract or accelerate development time;
- reducing experimental costs.